What does this exemption do?
This exemption provides a one-time reduction in the equalized assessed value (EAV) by the amount of the exemption. For the current tax assessment year the reduction is $5,000 off the equalized assessed value from the property for a qualifying returning veteran.Who can qualify for this exemption?
To qualify for the Returning Veterans'; Homestead Exemption the veteran must meet the following requirements:
- Be an Illinois resident who has served as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, Illinois National Guard, or U.S. Reserve Forces.
- Returning from active duty in an armed conflict involving the armed forces of the United States during the assessment year.
- A veteran who dies during his or her active duty service is eligible to receive this exemption.
- Owned or had a legal or equitable interest in the property used as the principal place of residence on January 1 of the assessment year.
- Must be liable for the payment of the property taxes.
How do I apply for this exemption?
You must apply for the exemption with the County Assessment Office. You can get an application here (Returning Veterans Homestead Exemption Form), or you can call (630) 208-3818 and one will be mailed to you. After the initial application is approved, you will be mailed a renewal form each subsequent year.